Sightseeing monuments, running from exhibition to exhibition, walking around with charming, but, after all, through the crowded streets of the Old Town, hanging out in bustling cafes are undoubtedly attractions. After some time, however, you may feel a certain excess. This is especially true of those, who have decided to stay longer in Krakow. So these, who would like to rest or spend time more actively, without giving up your sports habits, the following information should be of interest. Among them there will also be a few proposals for the youngest.
Krakow parks and gardens.
Błonia is an area of green meadows with an area of almost 50 hectares. It is quite a peculiar thing, when you consider the fact, that it is located almost in the very center of the city. Mainly youth concerts and sports events take place here.
In the past, Błonia witnessed many historical events. Here e.g.. there was a parade of the troops of the Duchy of Warsaw in 1809 r "here in 1894 r. the first football game was played, from here in the year 1910 the first time an airplane took off. There were also ceremonial celebrations, e.g.. 500-on the anniversary of the Battle of Grunwald, or the 250th anniversary of the relief of Vienna. In Błonia, during his pilgrimages to his homeland, Pope John Paul II celebrated masses.
Drive: trams #15, 18 and buses #105,114, 119, 164, 175 to the Cracovia hotel.
Park in. Henryk Jordan
The originator of the park, which was intended for the recreation of children and adolescents, was prof. H. Jordan. The garden was opened at the end of the 19th century and it was equipped with sports fields, gymnastic apparatus and playgrounds for sports games. There is also a gallery of busts of outstanding artists in the park, national scholars and heroes and a monument to the founder. Today Jordanowski Park is one of the favorite places for walks, play, as well as student meetings.
Drive: trams #15, 18 do al. 5 May.
Founded in 1885 r. the park was to be a copy of the Viennese city gardens with a restaurant, café, summer theater, a place for an orchestra. The idea was realized with full success. There was even a pond with boats, also a swimming pool and a cycling arena. At the end of the 19th century. in the park, eagerly visited by the bourgeoisie, a lush social life flourished. Today, based on the negligible traces, one can barely imagine the former glory of this place.
Drive: coaches #100, 114, 159, 159, 164, 179, 208, the corner of Mickiewicza and Czarnowiejska
Park in. Wojciech Bednarski
A small park in the Podgórze district. The nearby limestone deposits add to its charm, popularly called “Silicones”. In one of them, according to legend, the alchemical school of master Jan Twardowski was to be located. WITH “Krzemionki” there is a beautiful view of Krakow. The Krakow Television studio is also located here. The Krak's Mound is quite nearby. It is not recommended to walk in the park after dark. Drive: trams #6, 8, 10, 11, 24 do przystanku .Korona’.
Park of Culture and Recreation of the AWF
A vast park at Aleja Jana Pawła II, arranged on an interestingly shaped area.
This facility is part of the former summer residence of Just Decius, King Sigismund the Old's secretary. The Decius Palace, restored today, is one of the most valuable Renaissance monuments. The park blended beautifully into the landscape of Przegorzały, unfortunately, it was destroyed during the First World War. Today it is a public park.
Drive: coaches #102, 152, B, D to Wola Justowska.
Initially, the botanical garden was located at the Collegium Maius of the Jagiellonian University. Only at the end of the 18th century, on the initiative of members of the National Education Commission, today's complex began to be built, building, among others. greenhouses and natural and astronomical observatories.
In the garden, apart from the native vegetation, in palm houses and conservatories you can admire exotic flora. The more than five-hundred-year-old oak growing here is also noteworthy “Jagiellonian”.
Drive: trams and buses to Rondo Mogilskie.
Its creation is associated with the reactivation of the Fowler Brotherhood. The historic shooting range of the Celestat brotherhood was once located here, here also the so-called. the chanterelle king. Over time, the garden began to shrink, giving way to tenement houses, palaces and other buildings. Only a small part has survived to this day.
Drive: trams #2,4,5,10,12,15,40 to ul. Lubicz
A forest with an area of approx. 400 hectares, very beautiful, with numerous clearings, crisscrossed by paths and paths. In the past, it was famous for its loud picnics, which the youth organized here already approx. first half. XIX w. And today, once a year the forest comes to life. This is on Pentecost, when a grand indulgence takes place in Bielany.
In the reserve established here, you can see old oaks and Jurassic rocks. In addition, there is a zoo in the Wolski Forest. The Józef Piłsudski Mound is located near the Zoo (34 m n.p.m.). It has been poured over the years 1934-1937 from the land brought from all battlefields and places associated with the struggle for independence. Unfortunately, after the Second World War, the mound was deliberately devastated. The slopes were afforested, causing its destruction from within, the legion's cross was pulled down. The situation improved only in the years 80., when a special Committee for the Care of the Piłsudski Mound was established.
Bielany is the south-western part of the Wolski Forest. On the Silver Daughter, which offers a beautiful view of the Vistula River and Tyniec Abbey, there is a monastery of. Camaldolese. The historic church can only be visited on Sunday morning, women only have access twelve times a year, during the most important church holidays. In the monastery garden there are small hermitage houses in a row, where the monks live. The Camaldolese rule is very strict, m.in. he orders the friars to be silent. The customs of this congregation can be learned, visiting a small museum in the monastery buildings. A great indulgence takes place during the Pentecost in Bielany.
A large part of the forest is occupied by the so-called. Maiden Rocks. According to an old legend, it was here that the nuns of the Norbertine nuns were hiding from the Tatar army (hence the name of the reserve). But when the Tatars were close, the sisters pleaded with Madonna for help. And behold, the rocks parted and the nuns hid within them. Other stories have arisen around this legend, like this one, that sometimes you can hear sisters singing here.
Las Wolski is a great walking place with interesting views.