Krakus Mound

Krakus Mound

name: Krakus mound, an ancient name: Sleeve,
age: about 13 centuries (it was built between the 7th and 9th centuries): the evidence is a bronze ornament found during the excavations (ferrule) Avar,
height: 16 m (255 m n.p.m.),
diameters: lower – 60 m, upper – 8 m,
solid capacity: 19100 m³,
timber: sand,
quality: solid construction, the structure proves the skilful organization of transport by the builders,
achievements: the largest in Poland, in Europe it is one of the leaders, leader among prehistoric monuments of Krakow.

What was the Krakus Mound and who inspired people to put it up? – we will probably never find out. Instead of answering, we can only guess, hypotheses and legends.

Today, the Krakus Mound is the most important recreational attraction of Podgórze and one of the most beautiful viewpoints. The easiest way to reach it is from ul. Wielicka, turning right after the viaduct, w ul. workers, then going back a bit along ul. Lanckorońską do niezbyt szerokich schodków prowadzących ku górze. After that, every path winding from ul. The Krakus Mound will lead you upwards to your destination. The mound itself is quite average – ot, a several-meter hill, to force it to make you breathless. However, a centuries-old tradition, mystery of origin, and the panorama of Krakow. The view from here, beyond the aesthetic experience, provides better orientation in the city. The mound is probably Krak's grave (Krakus), the ancient ruler of these lands and the founder of the city. Solidity, with which this mound was built, and its size give some idea of ​​respect and love, which the Vistula people bestowed upon their ruler and how they strove to preserve his memory. But let's not idealize – it could have been quite different. Excavations, which in such cases becomes the most reliable source of information, showed, that in the immediate vicinity of the mound, traces of settlement from the Early Stone Age and the end of the Lusatian Culture were found, also allowed to state, that the mound is younger than the finds from the eras mentioned above. It is also known, that once an oak grew on the mound, but he was beheaded; perhaps the tree that was a symbol of pagan worship was abolished in connection with the Christianization of our lands, and a birch cross was stuck in its place.

Many ancient rulers of this land bore the name of Krak, just like the legendary founder of the Krakow city. legend has it, that Krak IV, nicknamed the Hero, was highly respected. He reigned at times, when sacrifices were made to the gods, sparing no people either. The offering ceremony was accompanied by dances, chants, incense and great excitement. Unlucky people, who were chosen as victims, they were creped with ropes and thrown into the crevices of rocks on the Vistula River. In the end, they were eaten by a dragon. Well, Krak VI became famous for this, that he had killed the dragon (the legend does not specify, whether he did it himself, or with the help of the shoemaker Skuba), for which the faithful people built a mound of gratitude for him during his lifetime, today it is called the Krakus Mound.

The sleeve was once known as the Krakus Mound (because those, what they put him to sleep, they wore earth in their sleeves), but also a joyful indulgence on Tuesday after Easter. The Rękawka scene, which, next to Lajkonik, was the most popular mass entertainment in Krakow, there was the area from the Krakus Mound to the church of St.. Benedict. There were stalls with goodies and devotional articles, shooting ranges, boat-shaped carousels and other indulgences. The main meaning of the holiday was to throw pancakes from the top of the Krakus Mound, fruit, sweets and other food, prosto w ręce biedaków i żebraków kłębiących się na dole. This was the reference to the feast, which allegedly took place right after the mound was built and in which its builders participated. Among the dances, divination, carousel and other attractions accompanying Rękka, amateur sports achievements were very popular: climbing to the top of a pole smeared with talcum powder and racing in sacks. With time, Rękawka lost a bit of its shine, however, the traditions of the indulgence are still maintained, the roots of which are not obvious to all participants.

From the top of the Krakus Mound (looking to the southeast), the impressive mouth of the quarries is clearly visible.

A little further south, behind the new Podgórze Cemetery within Jerozolimska and Abrahama Streets, where the Monument of Martyrdom stands today, fifty-some years ago, the construction of the Concentration Camp in Płaszów began.

The concentration camp in Płaszów functioned in 1942-1945 as a place of mass extermination of Jews – primarily – and Poles, Gypsies, Italians, Hungarians and Romanians. They were imprisoned here at its peak 25 thousands of people. Amon Leopold Coeth was famous for his cruelty and unpredictable deeds, who was promoted from a modest pre-war official in Płaszów to the master of the life and death of thousands of people. A luxurious villa with a swimming pool and showers in the garden was built especially for him in the camp. After the war, in 1946 r. The Supreme National Tribunal sentenced him to death for genocide. The sentence was carried out by hanging.