Gołębia Street was called before the 15th century. Final, because to the south of it there were only city walls. Today it should be called Echodajna, but let's stick to the idea of Jan Długosz z 1462 r. On the section from Wiślna to Planty Gołębia it passes important buildings of the Jagiellonian University: less college (nr 11), Witkowski College (nr 13) and Collegium Novum (nr 24). At its outlet, hidden among the trees, there is a monument to Copernicus 1900 r. Yes, its creator, Cyprian Godebski, he envisioned the great astronomer as a student.
At the end of the 20th century. the center of academic life is the neo-Gothic Collegium Novum standing between ul. Gołębia and Planty, w czasie roku akademickiego najbardziej ożywiony gmach UJ. Rector's authorities are here, dean's office, administration and various student and university organizations.
The edifice was built on the site of a dormitory, known as Jerusalem, which had been destroyed by fire, which he founded in the 15th century. Cardinal Zbigniew Oleśnicki, unable to fulfill the intention to visit the Holy Land. In Novum 6 November 1939 r. the Nazis conducted the famous Sonderaktion Krakau, by arresting and taking to concentration camps 183 research workers. The façade overlooking Planty is decorated with the coats of arms of the Jagiellonian University and the Polish kings of merit: Casimir the Great, Jagiełło and Jadwiga. Inside, the Collegium Maius echoes in the overall architectural concept and details, on which the Novum was modeled (e.g.. pointed-arched portals, crystal vaults, combination of red brick with white stone). In the auditorium on the first floor, next to the images of outstanding professors of the Jagiellonian University, hangs the famous portrait of Nicolaus Copernicus painted by Matejko.
He stands pale at the corner of Jagiellońska and Gołębia Streets, a small building Collegium Minus with partially preserved Gothic motifs, whose 15th-century destiny was to serve the liberal sciences, that is, the department of philosophy. W XIX w. the Faculty of Fine Arts of the Jagiellonian University operated here, where Jan Matejko was educated.